Throughout my time in Japan I started to become more and more familiar with different quiet and workable spaces in Tokyo. Sometimes you can be much more productive if you are in the right environment. After doing some research and visiting a few places, I was able to compile a list of a few coworking spaces or coffee shops that offer the option of being able to get work done without having to be confined to your cramped hotel room.
1) Connecting The Dots – This coworking space has two locations within Tokyo, one being in central Shibuya (only 4min walk from the station), and another in Yoyogi area. Both are similar in terms of facilities, design and atmosphere. Unlike some other coworking spaces you are able to buy passes, making it more tourist-friendly.
- Address: 1 Chome-20-7 Jinnan, Shibuya, Tokyo
- Opening hours: 10:00-21:00
- Website: https://dots.bz/
2) Co-Ba Shibuya – This is a coworking space with emphasis on community building and community cohesion with lots of opportunities for social events for its members. One point to consider though is that they perform mini interviews for new members and you will need to pay a membership fee. This is to ensure they have like-minded, focused people working there. Most staff speak a little English so don’t worry if you can’t speak Japanese! Otherwise, it is a quiet space and just out from central Shibuya. The space occupies two flours. The main coworking space is on the 5th floor – dedicated for members only and the 6th floor has a library is and that’s where events are held.
- Address: Co-Ba Shibuya 5-26-16 Shibuya, Tokyo 150-0002
- Opening hours:
- Website: http://tsukuruba.com/co-ba/shibuya/
3) Case – Case is very convenient being only a few minutes away from Takadanobaba station. There are two separate areas at Case. The first, Space 1 (North Wing) is designed to be a little more relaxed but has all the functions that a coworking area would have, including wifi, electricity and access to a water cooler. There are 2 types of memberships; either a drop in rate which is ¥500/hour or, ¥2,000/day, or a monthly membership which is ¥16,200/month (plus ¥16,200 for an admission fee).
Alternatively, Space 2 (South Wing) has more of a business like atmosphere with conference rooms, booths (with desk and chair), and printing facilities. The membership here is slightly different compared with Space 1. The shared-desk is priced at ¥27,000/month (plus ¥27,000 for an admission fee), and the fixed-booth: ¥48,600/month (plus ¥48,600 for an admission fee). Space 2 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Address: CASE Shinjuku, Sankei Bldg 4F, Takadanobaba 1-28-10, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 169-0075
- Opening hours: 9:00-21:00 (Space 1)
- Website: https://case-shinjuku.com/
4) Lattest – Free Wi-Fi and a located in a quiet pocket off of Omotesando gives it a relaxing vibe. However, be sure to charge your laptop or come early as there are limited plug sockets. They have some pretty amazing coffee art! Definitely worth it just for the Instagram photo ;)
- Address: 3-5-2, Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
- Opening hours: 10:00-19:00
- Website: http://lattest.jp/
5) Niko and…
A truly relaxing and comfortable environment, and only a few minutes away from Meiji Jingu Mae station, there is not much you can fault this with option. Wi-Fi and sockets are available too.
- Address: 6-12-20 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
- Opening hours: 11:00-20:00
- Website: http://www.nikoand.jp/
6) Caffice – Free Wi-Fi, lots of sockets for power and a selection of drinks and food on the menu that is at a very reasonable price.
- Address: 4-2-23 Shinjuku, Shin-Yon Curumu Bldg. 2F, Shinjuku 160-0022
- Opening hours: 10:00-23:00
- Website: http://caffice.jp/
7) Café Mame-Hico - Tucked away in the back streets of Shibuya, for someone who works well with a little bit of noise may find this café more preferable. Of course free Wi-Fi and sockets are provided. They offer a good variety of food and drink options, but do charge a seating fee on top of your purchase. The staff are very friendly here- I even got a free coffee once for spending the day there! As it is a café be sure to get there before lunch time as it can get crowded from then onwards.
- Address: 37-11-1F Udagawacho, Shibuya Ku, Tokyo 150-0042
- Opening hours: 08:00-22:00
- Website: www.mamehico.com
8) Moja in the House - Located on the second floor of the building and just out of the hustle and bustle of central Shibuya. There are plenty of seats, at the counter for individuals and tables for groups and meetings, and the seats are placed spaciously apart for added comfort. The interior is one of my favourite parts- it is decorated in a warm, relaxing and quirky way. As well as this, there is wifi access and plug ins at every table. It is not too noisy but does get packed in the evenings.
- Address: 1-11-1-2F Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, 150-0002
- Opening hours: 11:00-00:00
Be sure to check out some of these spaces whilst you’re in Tokyo!
By Emma Kodaka